Flieg Zurück

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Merrye Olde England

So I write this to you all gazing out of the window looking at the lovely English weather... a.k.a. rain, wind, and pretty much no sun.

Fun, no?

Despite the faulty weather conditions, this week has been amazing. Ok, so I've only been here for three full days, but still... I suppose I'll do a bullet style day-by-day format, as that seems to be the quickest and most efficient way of informing you all what I have been up to. Oh, I'm staying with Bret, Sharon, and their kids... by the way :)

Sunday
We made our merry way to Liverpool, which is about an hour and a half away from Lancaster, where I am currently staying. This, as I hope most of you know, is the "birthplace" of The Beatles, so naturally we went to the only permanent Beatles museum in the world. I found that was completely amazing, and of course, I had to buy a t-shirt and some patches for my Rotary blazer... along with some other things, of course. Also in Liverpool was a Ferris wheel, which was pretty fun, and the Albert Docks, which held many interesting stores, museums, and other sights. We were in Liverpool from lunchtime to about 3.30 pm, as that is when all starts to get dark here in England. All in all, a lovely day.

Monday
This day was a bit more laid-back than Sunday. Bret had to teach, so Sharon and I went into town and went grocery shopping. English grocery stores are so different from German ones -- a bit more warm and friendly. I suppose that's just the difference in the people... not saying that Germans aren't nice, of course, but they're just a bit more reserved. Then Sharon and I went to see New Moon, the latest film release from the Twilight saga. I suppose I should explain my love/hate relationship with Twilight: I think the books are decent, honestly, for teenage girls. They're not great works of art, like Lord of the Rings, or books by Jane Austen. But they are truly entertaining. So we went to see the movie, which I enjoyed simply because it was two hours in which I didn't have to particularly concentrate on much.

Tuesday
Oh man... well, Bret and Sharon and I went to the oldest pub in Lancaster (called The Three Mariners), and had a lovely lunch. I had the BEST double cheeseburger of my LIFE, and the barkeeper was actually rather adorable. I suppose this is definitely helped by the fact that he had a lovely accent. Then, Bret split to go buy coffee and get the kids, and Sharon and I went shopping!! This was especially good because I have been losing weight, and the vast majority of clothes I brought to Germany are getting loose. So, yeah, we shopped. It seems that things are cheaper here in England, which is very good, considering I purchased the following: two pairs of jeans, a pair of (PURPLE) boots, three scarves (VERY popular in Germany), and a leather jacket (also very popular). Overall, a lovely time.

And today is Wednesday... so...
Well, we're prepping for Thanksgiving. Which reminds me, I should go and help! So until the next...

LG
Signe

No comments:

Post a Comment